The Vanishing Catholic Church



St. Christopher Church

-- North Chili , NY

In his Nov. 9 letter, Bishop Matano stated, “I now write to you today out of deep pastoral concern for the current situation at Saint Christopher Parish, namely the declining attendance at Mass and participation in the Church’s sacramental life, as well as the financial resources available to sustain a vibrant faith, alive and strong in the North Chili area.”

VIABILITY OF ST. CHRISTOPHERS  🔗🔗

Unfortunately, this is becoming the trend, not the exception among Catholic Churches in the Diocese of Rochester. And across the country. 

I , with my former wife spoke about sacrificial giving at St. Christopher's Parish in 1995. We gave our talk from the pulpit at each weekend Mass. In essence, we were sharing the importance of our faith in our lives. Each Mass was very well attended. 

My old Pastor and friend at St. Paul's Church in Webster, Fr. Ray Booth spoke very highly of his time at St. Christopher's. He was pastor there, immediately before he was assigned to St. Paul's in 1988.

My faith is stronger than ever before. But, that isn't the case at St. Christopher's and other parishes. I often hear that the Church isn't the building, but the people. If that's true ,our Catholic Church is hemorrhaging without a quick cure.

I also hear from many that , they don't get anything out of going to CHURCH, MASS. Hmmm..hmmm... remember in 1961 our newly elected President John F Kennedy said,  " Ask not what your country can do for me -- ask what you can do for your country.'"

Why not apply the same philosophy to Church, ask what you can do for your Church ?

At a recent Sunday evening prayer service, our Deacon read from Scripture, and the prophecies from Mary that say  before the second coming of her Son, there will be a tremendous lack of Faith. Will Jesus find a strong faith among his people when he comes again? 

During our difficult times we rely upon our faith communities to get us through those times. We need our faith communities, we need one another to help keep our faith alive and glowing. God intended us to help each other in the tough & not so tough times in our faith communities, in our Churches. (Paraphrasing our Deacon)

During some of the most difficult times in my life, I have relied upon my Church and fellow parishioners as support . Even when out of town, the nearby Catholic Church is a source of serenity, prayer, and support. As a husband, and father I experienced the grief and hurt of a miscarriage. I knew the place to turn was to our pastor. Fr. Amering immediately made a visit to our residence , he offered prayers, and soothing words of wisdom. Without my faith, I would have been lost.  To think about it , that event happened mid January, 36 years ago. Prayer, faith, and trust in God. 

When I heard the news of my mother's diagnosis of leukemia we were on our way to Holy Thursday Mass. I asked  our Church community to pray for my mother at the Prayers of the Faithful.

I celebrated in Church with God the good times; my wedding, baptisms, First  Communions, Confirmations of my daughters. Also, the sad times in Church , the funerals of my parents, my uncles & aunts, and some dear friends. It's always comforting to be in God's house for life celebrations, and even more so when God's support is needed. 

I hope and pray the missing in the pews, soon rejoin us who faithfully remain, because if not there will be not a CHURCH for our children, grandchildren, great grandchildren to attend.

That will be a sad day!!

Anybody here seen my old Church friend?

Can you tell me where she's gone?

Anybody here seen my old Church friend? 

Can you tell me where he's gone?

Has anyone seen my good friend? ðŸ”—




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When you hold a banquet or Thanksgiving dinner, invite the poor.

God is Love. This is the Message of Christianity.

Brian Piccolo & Gale Sayers, & George 50 years later. One remains!!