Only the Good(& a few close to Good) 😊Die Young...✝️πŸ™ UPDATED



When I get older losing my hair
Many years from now
Will you still be sending me a Valentine
Birthday greetings, bottle of wine
If I'd been out till quarter to three
Would you lock the door
Will you still need me, will you still feed me
When I'm sixty-four"
--- The Beatles 

Not so for my good friend, Mike Spreter who died last Saturday (11/19/2022) morning from esophagical cancer at the age of 64, a month younger than I . The cancer advanced quickly and aggressively . 

I met Michael about 5 years ago. We hit it off because we were both avid college basketball fans,. We were both good at sports, historical, & Jeopardy trivia. He's already missed by many. πŸ™πŸ™

Matthew 25:13
Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour. πŸ™✝️
Gospel reading today 27-Nov-2022



He's the gentleman on the far left, next to him is Eric Onderdonk  Joe Francher.

Mike had two sons, Michael and Andrew. I've met them both. I'm sure that they wish one more Thanksgiving (this year), with their Dad. 
Top left clockwise, 
Aunt Ann Schmitt, 68. September 2010
Fr. George Heyman, 66. April 2021
Joanne Thornton, 56. December 2012
Michael Thornton, 58. January 2013
Uncle Joe Schmitt, 58. October 1989
Patricia Schmitt, Mom, 63. March 2001.
"Fairport" Michael Parry, 60. October 2020

None doubted me, and all had my back & I think I had theirs. Aunt Ann was slowly dying of cancer in December, 2009. She showed faith & courage to me, even when she was dealing with the pitfalls of cancer. Aunt Ann helped me on the road to recovery from depression that Christmas season. Despite her weakened conditioned, Aunt Ann cooked a Christmas dinner for her family. Happily, Dad and I were on her guest list. Her mantra definitely was ,"Don't give up, don't ever give up.," 
- Jim Valvano
 πŸ™πŸ™
Fr. George Heyman always helped making the coffee and breakfast snacks before the 8:30 a.m. Mass at Church of the Resurrection. You don't see many priests doing that all the time. It was a shocker that he died suddenly of a heart attack. Ironically, I met Fr. George way back in early 1980s at Blessed Sacrament RC Catholic. BS Church was where I was married.

Mike Thornton, hard pressed to find a man of more integrity, or a stronger competitor. Basketball or golf, he gave it his all, and excelled at both. But, I'll remember him showing up on a Saturday morning to help me move. I mentioned it to him in passing that I had furniture to unload, but there he was pitching in. πŸ‘πŸ‘♥️♥️ Said to me, shut up & start working.

Uncle Joe Schmitt, what can I say. He taught my brother and I, baseball and basketball.  Every Saturday evening an usher at St Kilian's.

A wonderful sense of humor and pranks. Uncle Joe didn't marry into his late 30s. Thus, he often treated my sisters, my brother, and I  to Chuckles candy that he bought on the way back from lunch. A tragic loss to his entire family when he suddenly slumped over and died from a heart attack next to his brothers in the field.

Mom, like everyone else's Mom the best. A woman who loved her family, forgave their mistakes, practiced a deep faith, loved to laugh, loved to cook ( THE BEST), loved to play all types of games. 
I'll always remember the day that I found out she had leukemia, my heart sunk, my body went numb. But she didn't give up, she never gave up, she battled until the end.✝️♥️πŸ™ 

Dad, myself, my sisters, Aunt Jean (she led in prayer), Uncle Frank said "The Our Father" in unison before she died. I like to think Mom was praying πŸ™ her final Our Father with us . We never ate a lunch, nor dinner meal in Mom & Dad's homes without praying , 
"Bless us O Lord, and these thy gifts, which we are about to receive, from thy bounty, through Christ, our Lord. Amen."

I only knew Mike Parry for about 8 months. I first met him in the library, then in Perinton Park. A man who made some bad choices in life, but was a friendly and jovial man. During late spring the summer months until he died, Mike was living in a tent somewhere in the woods of Fairport. I helped him often.


I learned much from each, I hope when needed I was a Good Samaritan. That would be a good epitaph, " He was a Good Samaritan".  I'm quite sure all, no matter how faint, never gave up on their faith, family, or friends. 

 "But, when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind." Luke 14:13 

" The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

Act upon the Lord's word, and also pay it forward for those who helped you. The words of the Gospel are for action, not contemplation. 
Additionally, some influencers, in who died in their early 70s. Sister Carol Wullforst ,73. Mom's cousin. One of the kindest, most selfless people. Tough death from cancer, even with that she always wanted to know how others were doing. June 2009

My father-in-law Stuart Alexander, 71. A very wise and hard working man. The last time I saw him before his death, " Tony, I'm proud to have you as my son-in-law. " June 2002  I believe Stu remembered me for the good things I did.πŸ™
 
Uncle Roger Schmitt, 71. - November 2012. I knew the man my whole life, but I learned much about him in the last two years after Aunt Ann died. He was proud , a strong faith, and wise. He shared some of that wisdom with me in the twilight of his life. 

 I was able to thank and say goodbye to, Aunt Ann, Sr. Carol, Michael Thornton, Mom, Uncle Roger, Fairport Mike, and Stuart in the months or days prior to their deaths. πŸ™✝️♥️

 All had deficiencies, all were repentant sinners, all helped their neighbors, " forgave their trespasses, as God forgave their trespasses,." and they loved their families above all else. 

Matthew 7:13-14.
“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."

The gate gets smaller and the road gets narrower, if you don't honor your covenants, forgive and love your neighbors, or fail to make amends. In essence, the Golden Rule. Keep the faith in word & action.
Simon answered, “Master, weΚΌve worked hard all night and havenΚΌt caught anything. But because you say so, I will let down the nets.”
LUKE-ACTS 5:5 (BOOKS)

Finally & recently, Bill Vogel, 66a school mate from high school. Voges was 2 years ahead of me in high school, and 6 ft 7. We played against each other in JV vs V basketball scrimmages, and after school pickup games. I had to pick up my game going against a guy 2" taller and 2 years older than I. It worked. 

Bill was a man of quick wit, and dry sense of humor. I knew the Vogel family well. Bill had three younger sisters all close to my  age, Mimi a good friend of my older sister, Janet a year behind me , who I'm still in contact with today. Patti only 2 years younger. 

Bill, good luck with the Mikan drills in heaven, and your 90 mph  fastball.
I hope they all kept their faith until the end of their lives on Earth. Don't give up, don't ever give up. - Valvano 

"Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."
Psalm 23:4

πŸŽΆπŸŽΆπŸ¦…πŸ¦…πŸ™πŸ™



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When you hold a banquet or Thanksgiving dinner, invite the poor.

God is Love. This is the Message of Christianity.

Brian Piccolo & Gale Sayers, & George 50 years later. One remains!!