When you hold a banquet or Thanksgiving dinner, invite the poor.

Steve Martin ( Neal) & John Candy ( Del) 

 November 6, 2023
DAILY MEDITATION: LUKE 14:12-14 wau.org
When you hold a banquet, invite the poor. (Luke 14:13)

For Jesus, the dinner table is a sacred place. He often chose to make a personal connection with people by coming to eat at their homes. Because Jesus is present in the sacred meal of the Eucharist, heaven touches earth at every Mass. This holy encounter will continue into eternity in the “wedding feast of the Lamb” (Revelation 19:9).

But even ordinary mealtimes can provide opportunities to meet with God. From Abraham to Rahab to the first disciples, God’s people encountered their Lord by showing hospitality (Genesis 18; Joshua 2; Acts 2:44). Even more, they reflected the generous hospitality of God himself.

Banquet with St. Kilian 1972 classmates in 2017.

So when Jesus talks about holding a banquet and inviting the poor, he’s inviting us to be hospitable like his Father (Luke 14:13). He’s asking us to rework our guest lists and reorient our hearts. He’s asking us to open our arms to the suffering and marginalized and see them with his compassion. And he’s reminding us that people who are poor or suffering have great dignity.

Jesus is not just describing a meal offered, but a meal shared as family. We can truly encounter and connect with another person by welcoming them, by being present and listening, and by experiencing God’s love together. As we sit at such a table, walls begin to tumble. Sharing a meal communicates love in tangible ways that surpass words, and a stranger 

P.S. Planes, Trains, Automobiles  was movie we watched in the hospital's visitors waiting room, the last time my family & I saw Mom.

We might not know how to “invite the poor” into our lives, but we can start by asking the Holy Spirit to show us someone who is hungry—whether for food or for an experience of God’s love. The Spirit can open our eyes and help us to reach out to them. People often have simple, ordinary needs. Even a smile or a few dollars or a kind word can open the door to the hospitality God wants us to show. As we talk with them, we may have an opportunity for a longer encounter—perhaps by getting a cup of coffee or inviting them to lunch. There, we will also encounter the God who lives within them. We can affirm the beauty and dignity he has breathed into their souls—and find Jesus himself.

Holiday banquet dinner at Schmitt dining room table. πŸ˜‹ 

Lord, open my heart, my schedule, and my table today to someone who is poor or poor in spirit today.”
Romans 11:29-36
Psalm 69:30-31, 33-34, 36

As a divorced man, one of the things that becomes readily apparent is the recognition that some people who you thought were your friends, are truly not.  Invitations to their children's weddings never find their way to your mailbox,  the same children that you gave rides to practices or games,  coached in youth sports, took on vacations. Daughters were bridesmaids in each other's weddings, but I now serve no use to them. Caste aside as a pauper not worthy of the feast.  I'm even godfather to some of their children,  they once felt I was faithful and  worthy enough to stand up as a representative before God for their child during baptism,  but now I'm judged as a sinner. Those " Christians " no longer extend a Christ like hospitality towards me.  Some are even close family members. 
But, alas not all are so inhospitable,  many friends,  family, have invited me to their table.  Christmas 2009, my Aunt Ann & Uncle Roger invited my Dad and I to their home for Christmas dinner. It was wonderful,  delicious.  My aunt knew I was struggling with health problems,  and wanted my father and I to celebrate Christmas with her and family. It was her last Christmas,  she died the following September from cancer.  Wonderful memories. 

Christmas 2013, my friend from high school was concerned that  I was spending Christmas Day alone, again I was dealing with health problems.  Mary insisted I  join her extended family for Christmas dinner,  when I say extended, I mean she was one of fourteen and many would be there.  She lived 40 minutes away, I almost didn't go, but I didn't want to disappoint,  nor be alone on Christmas.  I got myself together and although a bit late, i knocked at the door and was welcomed by many.  I had a delicious meal, and a truly Blessed and Merry  Christmas.  Thank you, Mary and all your family. ....

Reach out!! 








Comments

  1. I admit it feels good to help the poor, and listen to their woes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

God is Love. This is the Message of Christianity.

Brian Piccolo & Gale Sayers, & George 50 years later. One remains!!